[Xymon] Xymon server post-migration blues pt. 1 - "brown-outs"

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Wed Apr 24 12:00:15 CEST 2019

On Tue, 2019-04-23 at 21:50 -0700, Greg Earle wrote:

> At my work we were forced to migrate our data center to a new facility,
> so we bought a new monitoring PC to replace a RHEL 6.10 system that ran
> Xymon 4.3.12.  The new monitoring PC runs RHEL 7.6 and Xymon 4.3.28
> (using the Terabithia RPMs).

Yup, done the same recently (same versions). We had very few problems though.

> When they fail, the alert message is always
>
> --
> Service <service> on <host> is not OK : Service listening but
> unavailable (connect timeout)
> --
>

> --
> Address=192.168.1.26:22, open=1, res=0, err=1, connecttime=0.004546,
> totaltime=11.653128,

We saw something similar when we had 4 clients that the Xymon server could not
connect to. As such the overall Xymonnet process time went past its timeout. I
think the timeout is 30 seconds (see the xymonnet man page). I also think that
xymonnet then ignores any further tests that it would normally do (hence
causing other red alerts). If you look on the Xymon server display at the
'xymonnet' column, it should show you the time it took to do various tests and
the overall time taken.

As in our case, I would suggest looking at the clients though. Check the logs
to see if the new Xymon server is allowed to connect to it. Is something
blocking it - local (client) firewall, blocked by IP address etc? (It was this
in our case.)

John.

--
John Horne | Senior Operations Analyst | Technology and Information Services
University of Plymouth | Drake Circus | Plymouth | Devon | PL4 8AA | UK

This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient then copying, distribution or other use of the information contained is strictly prohibited and you should not rely on it. If you have received this email in error please let the sender know immediately and delete it from your system(s). Internet emails are not necessarily secure. While we take every care, University of Plymouth accepts no responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan emails and their attachments. University of Plymouth does not accept responsibility for any changes made after it was sent. Nothing in this email or its attachments constitutes an order for goods or services unless accompanied by an official order form.