[Xymon] xymonproxy setup

Root, Paul T Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Tue Apr 9 16:00:41 CEST 2019

Here is how mine is setup.   Our proxies work as a secondary machine, so I set the server on port 1985 and the proxy on 1984.   Our clients send to the 2 proxies. 1 proxy sends to the primary server and itself. The other proxy sends to the development server and itself.

I have an analysis entry that watches the primary from the proxy. If the proxy can't 'see' the primary, there is a script in alerts that "takes over", which is actually just swapping in the primary's alerts.cfg  in place. And will swap it back out when it sees the primary come back up.   The second proxy requires manual attention to make it the primary, just sending an email/text/page when it doesn't see both other machines.

[xymonproxy]
        ENVFILE /etc/xymon/xymonserver.cfg
    CMD $XYMONHOME/bin/xymonproxy --server=192.168.9.11,127.0.0.1:1985 --listen=0.0.0.0:1984 --report=$MACHINE.xymonproxy --no-daemon --pidfile=$XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymonproxy.pid
        LOGFILE $XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymonproxy.log

From: Xymon <xymon-bounces at xymon.com> On Behalf Of Rothlisberger, John R.
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 8:38 AM
To: xymon at xymon.com
Subject: [Xymon] xymonproxy setup

Can anyone help clue me in to how to get xymonproxy to work?

In my environment I have multiple Xymon servers that I would like to have them report to a single server.   (xymonserver[1-5] -> xymonserverA)

In tasks.cfg (on one of them for testing) I setup xymonproxy as such:
[xymonproxy]
        ENABLED
        ENVFILE /home/xymon/server/etc/xymonserver.cfg
        CMD $XYMONHOME/bin/xymonproxy --server=xymonserverA-IP --report=xymonserverA-IP.xymonproxy -
-no-daemon --pidfile=$XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymonproxy.pid
        LOGFILE $XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymonproxy.log

For xymond, history, alert, clientdata, rrdstatus, rrddata, hostdata, xymonfetch - were all set to DISABLED.
For xymongen, xymonnet, xymonnetagain - were all active with NEEDS xymond.

I left xymonserver1 listening on port 1984 for data from its clients.  Xymonserver1 also reports to xymonserverA as a client (no issues here).

Xymonserver1 continued to work normally with nothing being sent to xymonserverA.  Either I am trying to use xymonproxy incorrectly or I have something misconfigured.  Ideas?
Thanks,
John
Upcoming PTO: May 10th-17th
John Rothlisberger
IT Strategy, Infrastructure & Security - Technology Growth Platform
TGP for Business Process Outsourcing
Accenture
312.693.3136 office

www.accenture.com<http://www.accenture.com>
This communication is the property of CenturyLink and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the communication and any attachments.