[Xymon] disabled fqdn not working

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Sep 4 18:03:40 CEST 2018

On 9/1/2018 6:07 AM, Kris Springer wrote:
> I just built a new xymon server that will only be used on an internal
> network with 192 addresses.  I have FQDN="FALSE" in the xymonserver.cfg
> but the ping results shown on the xymon webpage show that the tests are
> using names to test instead of IP's.

The FQDN option doesn't affect how the xymonnet process performs its
tests. It affects how client/host names are used by xymon. From the man:

> FQDN : If set to TRUE, Xymon will use fully-qualified hostnames
> throughout. If set to FALSE, hostnames are stripped of their
> domain-part before being processed. It is highly recommended that you
> keep this set to TRUE. Default: TRUE

If what you are trying to do is make all the conn tests be performed by
IP, you need to adjust the --dns option on xymonnet in your tasks.cfg

> --dns=[ip|only|standard]
> With "--dns=ip" xymonnet will never do a DNS lookup; it will use the IP adresse specified in hosts.cfg for the tests.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska