[Xymon] Memory leak in Windows Virtual Disk service caused by Xymon Windows Powershell client

SebA spah at syntec.co.uk
Tue Mar 13 19:14:14 CET 2018

I have noticed a memory and thread leak in the Windows Virtual Disk service
- or vds.exe from the process list.  This service is set to Manual by
default and gets started when starting the XymonPSClient service on Windows
2008 R2.  It starts off using 32 threads, but grows forever, the virtual
memory and physical memory (which starts under 6 MB) used slowly grow too.

Has anyone noticed this problem and do they have a solution to it?

On Windows Server 2012, the Virtual Disk service does not get started by
Xymon Windows Powershell client, so it's obviously not started directly by
the client, but by a request for information.  I looked into known memory
leaks for vds.exe and the one I found was not applicable to 2008 R2, only
2008 and Vista.  The version of vds.exe we have is later than the version
with the fix: 6.1.7601.17514 from 2010.

The quick workaround is simply to stop the Virtual Disk Service - but as
soon as the PSclient has used it, it does not stop properly and terminates
unexpectedly, so one needs to set it not to restart on crash, or stop it
immediately after starting, or to Disabled.  But it would be good to know
why it is starting, not stopping, and leaking threads / memory!

Kind regards,

SebA