[Xymon] HELP INSTALLATION-CLIENT

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 01:57:53 CET 2018

I'd suggest building for the oldest vendor-supported OS version in each case; there are differences.  For example, pcre comes with Solaris 11, but AFAIK not with Solaris 10 (however, it can be obtained as an SVR4 style package, for both x86 and SPARC, from opencsw.org <http://opencsw.org/>; I don't think I had to build any dependencies myself).

I have the current xymon running on Solaris 10 and 11, both x86 and SPARC (although the server is on Solaris 11, and the way I'm set up, the clients don't need pcre).  In fact, I built the SPARC client on Solaris 9, and it works on 10 and 11 too.

I'd also built the x86 Linux client on whatever the oldest OS version was that I had, and it worked on both Ubuntu and CentOS; the binary compatibility was good enough for that.

Unfortunately, that was all a long time ago, and I didn't take notes; so that's about all I can tell you.  Also, the laptop that had my Ubuntu VM and one of my CentOS VM's died...and I don't remember where I built the Linux client, nor have I replaced the two VMs on the new laptop as yet, since about the only thing I did with them was update them periodically (and since a virtual disk file is huge and updated whenever the VM is active, they were excluded from the laptop's backups).