[Xymon] State of the art for monitoring ESXi hosts?

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Thu Feb 1 13:19:42 CET 2018

On 31 Jan 2018, at 11:07 AM, John Thurston <john.thurston at alaska.gov>
wrote:

> Can anyone offer a 'state of the art' statement regarding Xymon and
> VMware ESXi hosts (versions 6.0 and 6.5)?  Looking in the archives, I
> see
> a little content from several years ago.
>
> It's now 2018.  What are y'all monitoring, and how are ya' doing it?

We set up our ESXi hosts (all 6.0 at the moment) to point their syslog
configs at our central syslog server, and then set up <syslog
server>.msgs red & yellow alerts from what we get out of that.  Crude
but quasi-effective.

(In case you've never set it up, ESXi hosts emit a FLOOD of syslog
messages.)

		- Greg