[Xymon] Http Status Column and Https

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Tue Nov 7 22:27:21 CET 2017

Rich

All of the SSL checks are enabled by default, so yes, probably related.
However check the command-line parameters for xymonnet (in tasks.cfg) to
ensure you don't have "--no-ssl" or something like that. I suspect the
"400" response code indicates a problem that is also preventing Xymon from
processing the certificate.

Check the web servers' logs to see if they are reporting a fault from the
Xymon probe, which might give clues to the cause of the problem.

Can you provide the exact message that Xymon shows? It may indicate which
part of the code is reporting the error, and hence the problem that's
triggering it. And what version of Xymon did you upgrade to?

It might be worth running xymonnet with the "--debug" option, to see if it
shows more detail in the xymonnet.log file. You can do some reasonably
painless diagnostics by running xymonnet from the command-line, like so:

echo "1.2.3.4 someurl.com # https://someurl.com COMMENT:somecomment" | (
HOSTSCFG=/dev/stdin /usr/lib/xymon/server/bin/xymonnet --debug --no-update
--noping --dns=ip )

This will show you everything xymonnet is doing, but it will only test as
per the details in the "echo" command, and it will report its result to you
rather than updating the status in Xymon.

Note that, even though --dns=ip is set here, xymonnet still performs a DNS
lookup against the hostname part of the URL to determine where to connect.
The debug output will show this. You can force it to connect to a different
IP address by using a URL such as https://someurl.com=1.2.3.99.