[Xymon] Xymon script question

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Wed Jul 5 14:52:39 CEST 2017

Hi folks,

My network has about a dozen Xymon clients and one Xymon server, all
running Debian stretch. Yesterday I wrote my first Xymon script for it
(using the example on the 'Xymon Tips and Tricks' page), which checks
if the host it runs on needs a reboot in case the kernel has been
updated. This script runs fine on all of the clients (a new column for
it was automatically added to the 'Current Status' overview), but not
on the server where it is apparently being ignored. There is, of
course, also a Xymon client installed on the server and up until now
it always seemed to work the same as all the other clients.

So, do Xymon client scripts that are run on the server need to be
different, or does something else need to be done before they will
work there?

Also, how can I best go about troubleshooting custom Xymon scripts?
For example, is there a way to run them manually in debug mode?

Thanks,

Jaap