[Xymon] xymonclient-linux.sh update persistent to software update

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Jan 27 00:57:32 CET 2017

On 1/26/2017 3:31 PM, Asif Iqbal wrote:

> Forgot to mention, I am using centos 6.8 and I do see the sections dir
> here ( and no local dir ).
>  /usr/share/xymon-client/sections
> under that dir I do see few scripts
>
> # ls
> ipcs  meminfo  mounts  README  vmstats
>
> I have xymon-client-4.3.21-4.el6.x86_64 installed
> I went ahead and added a script called lscpu
>
> # cat /usr/share/xymon-client/sections/lscpu
> #!/bin/dash
> # collecting cpu info
>
> exec /usr/bin/lscpu 2>/dev/null
>
> Do I need to restart the xymon client? So, if I understand correctly,
> this script will survive a yum update xymon-client?
>
> Thanks a lot for such a detail description!

Nope, it scans the directory each time executes, so it should be visible
in the next report. Just make sure the script is chmod +x
If a 'local' directory is present it's searched, otherwise it's not. The
README there (or the README-local and README-sections in
/usr/share/doc/xymon-client-*/) has a fuller explanation. The actual
reading is done inside xymonclient.sh (not xymonclient-linux.sh), so
this applies equally to all OS's.

And yes, any file left in there should be untouched by RPM when an
update occurs.

Regards,
-jc