[Xymon] xymonclient-linux.sh update persistent to software update

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 00:31:05 CET 2017

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 5:23 PM, Japheth Cleaver <cleaver at terabithia.org>
wrote:

> On 1/26/2017 1:49 PM, Asif Iqbal wrote:
>
>> How do I make change and add a new stanza for example [lscpu] to the
>> xymonclient-linux.sh that it survives a yum update to next version of xymon
>> client?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Hi,
>
> There are two ways to do this in the RPM, which roughly correspond to the
> "site" and "local" paradigms.
>
> Inside your client's home directory (/usr/share/xymon-client/ or
> /usr/share/xymon/client/ in the RPM), there's may be a "sections" and/or
> "local" directory. Both of these will be searched for any executable files,
> and if any are found their output will be added into the client report near
> the end.
>
> The output of files in "sections" will be put in a client [section] with
> the name of the executable (or script). The output of files in "local" will
> be similar, but will be listed as "[local:filename]" to prevent collisions.
> (The intent is for files in ~/sections/ to be package or site controlled,
> while "~/local/" is more akin to /usr/local/ for truly one-off scripts.)

Forgot to mention, I am using centos 6.8 and I do see the sections dir here
( and no local dir ).

 /usr/share/xymon-client/sections

under that dir I do see few scripts

# ls

ipcs  meminfo  mounts  README  vmstats

I have xymon-client-4.3.21-4.el6.x86_64 installed

I went ahead and added a script called lscpu

# cat /usr/share/xymon-client/sections/lscpu
#!/bin/dash

# collecting cpu info

exec /usr/bin/lscpu 2>/dev/null

Do I need to restart the xymon client? So, if I understand correctly, this
script will survive a yum update xymon-client?

Thanks a lot for such a detail description!

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu