[Xymon] Storing / retrieving metadata and the 'data' message type

zak.beck at accenture.com zak.beck at accenture.com
Wed Apr 26 12:07:05 CEST 2017

Hi

I want to save some information about a client in Xymon and retrieve it later, without using a status column. In my case this is non-numeric data for certain servers only, the version string from SQL Server.

It appears I can send this to Xymon using a 'data' message (http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/manpages/man1/xymon.1.html):

data HOSTNAME.DATANAME<newline><additional text>
The "data" message allows tools to send data about a host, without it appearing as a column on the Xymon webpages. This is used, for example, to report statistics about a host, e.g. vmstat data, which does not in itself represent something that has a red, yellow or green identity. It is used by RRD bottom-feeder modules, among others. In Xymon, data messages are by default processed only by the xymond_rrd<http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/manpages/man8/xymond_rrd.8.html>(8) module. If you want to handle data-messages using an external application, you may want to enable the xymond_filestore<http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/manpages/man8/xymond_filestore.8.html>(8) module for data-messages, to store data-messages in a format compatible with how the Big Brother daemon does.

My question is, how do I retrieve this data at a later date?

I've sent some data messages with this format:

data hostname.sqlversion
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP3) - 10.50.6220.0 (X64)   Mar 19 2015 12:32:14   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) (Hypervisor)

I thought I might be able to get it back like this:

xymon <serverIP> 'query hostname.sqlversion' --response

or this:

xymon <serverIP> 'xymondlog hostname.sqlversion'  --response

The above do work with 'status' messages (e.g. cpu), but not 'data'. The man page quoted above suggests I need something to 'process' the message? Do I have to enable filestore and then write a query script to read the files?

Zak