[Xymon] Replacing the smtp test in protocols.cfg

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Thu Mar 24 23:25:52 CET 2016

The default test in protocols.cfg  is
> [smtp]
>    send "mail\r\nquit\r\n"
>    expect "220"
>    options banner
>    port 25

All of my smtp servers accept the connection, return the 220 response,
and return a 50X response due to the mal-formed "mail" command. The test
result in Xymon is green because of the 220 response, but my smtp logs
an error for each connection.

I can replace the send-string with:
    send "quit\r\n"
and get better behavior, but I expect that I'll need to make this change
every time I update Xymon. It does not appear that re-defining the smtp
test in a later (included) .cfg file replaces the first definition.

Two questions:
Is there anyone for whom this test is _not_ filling up the error log on
their smtp server?

If I edit the native protocol.cfg, am I correct that I'll need to
replace protocols.cfg with each code update?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration