[Xymon] How many times does xymonnet retry?

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Jan 8 21:13:33 CET 2016

This is correct. In some other monitoring systems (Nagios/Icinga come to
mind), there's a notion of a Hard Fail vs Soft Fail and the scheduling
system can run checks several times before a "Hard Fail" is recorded.

Because there's no discrete scheduling system (or dispatcher) within
xymon, it doesn't really have that same model, and the built-in tools like
xymonnet don't conceptualize it.

Fundamentally, you have any number of things testing and whatever
frequency or decision process they're independently doing, and xymond is
simply accepting reports (and displaying/handling them) as needed.

As xymonnet runs at intervals, each run is distinct. If it's
down/slow/hung/whatever, it's marked as such and is not tested again
during that execution.

If you add that together, though, it provides other options for
administrator-defined recurrence, such as the "xymonnet-again.sh" script,
as you've seen.

When we were migrating from a system that had been configured to retry 3
times before alerting, we realized that we saved so much power in
efficiency moving to xymon (shameless plug ;) ), that we could lower our
xymonnet interval greatly and just make sure that 3 entire runs would
complete before the "red" alert was sent (using the DURATION value in
alerts.cfg(5)).

xymonnet-again.sh itself is somewhat basic, but you can script up any
number of additional ways of dispatching with the same concept. I have a
script on another server that queries xymond for any non-green 'dns' tests
every 10s and re-scans just those hosts with lower --timeout values.

As above, I've found interval scanning and adjusting your duration to be
simpler conceptually and to handle most of the cases that are needed. It
also sidesteps the problem of an overloaded scheduler during a crisis,
leaving just the extra time needed for failing TCP tests in the first
place.

HTH,
-jc