[Xymon] 4.3.24 tests not clearing once disable expiration is reached

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Thu Feb 11 05:07:28 CET 2016

On Wed, February 10, 2016 2:43 pm, Larry Bonham wrote:
> I just noticed in 4.3.24 (RHEL 6.7) that a few monitors are not getting
> enabled once the disable expiration time is reached.
>
> All the "normal" tests seem to work fine.  This is an environmental sensor
> device that is accessed with snmptraps and snmpgets for data retrieval.
> That is all functioning as it should.
>
> But when any of these particular tests are disabled (e.g.
> DC_Door_Alarm.ups) for a set time, they are now not getting enabled when
> the expiration time has been reached.  They just remain blue.  I did
> verify that the expiration time stamps are correct.
>
> So I'm assuming the problem is triggered due to the way the hosts.cfg
> entries are set up.  Previous version used was 4.3.21 and disable
> expiration was working with it.
>
> Example from hosts.cfg
>
> # Data center facilities sensor
> 10.10.10.10    Sensor9
> 0.0.0.0             DC_Door_Alarm # noconn main side ups
> 0.0.0.0             DC_VESDA # noconn fault prealarm fire
> 0.0.0.0             DC_Fans # noconn fans
>
> Larry D. Bonham

Hi Larry,

I believe the current behavior is that a test stays "blue" until the next
message status message comes in, at which point that becomes its color
How often are the tests updated. I seemed to recall discussion last year
about the duration of time it stays blue after a disable expiration before
going purple, but I don't know that the behavior was actually /changed/ in
the 4.3.22 release -- or I missed a post to releasenotes about it.

Can you describe a little more about the generation of the messages? Is
the message body itself getting updated after the disable has expired, but
it simply stays blue throughout? Did it used to revert immediately
afterwards?

Regards,
-jc