[Xymon] client-local.cfg an powershell client

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Nov 17 17:42:51 CET 2015

On Tue, November 17, 2015 7:35 am, Lukas Kohl wrote:
> Hello again,
> sorry, os= is working for powershell. I was a little bit confused by the
> new class=powershell entry ;-)

Ahh, good to hear!

> class=powershell works as expected, the client almost immediately got the
> new config.
> This is the snippet from Debug mode:
> 2015-11-17 14:38:41 -> do_message/1 (78555 bytes): client myserver.bbwin
> powershell XymonPS
>
> Is it possible, that the [powershell] entry had precedence over [os=bbwin]
> ?

> I prefixed now all custom entries in my client-local.cfg, and things work
> as expected:

Yes, taken from the man page,
https://xymon.com/help/manpages/man5/client-local.cfg.5.html:

By default, xymond will look for a matching entry by matching the client
hostname, classname or operating system name against the section
expressions. Hostname matches are used first, then classname matches, then
OS matches. The first match found is the one that is returned to the
client.

So the OS match was being overridden by the class match. OS is seen more
as a backstop default, while "CLASS:" gets to be administrator-defined
into a grouping that might be more appropriate for your org.

Regards,
-jc