[Xymon] Making COMPACT: work

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Jun 17 19:17:12 CEST 2015

On Wed, June 17, 2015 8:17 am, Root, Paul T wrote:
> I didn't know compact existed.  I gave it a try, and it did compact it
> down, but if I click on the column, I just get "status not available".
>
> That's not useful.

COMPACT is intended more for page display alteration purposes than test
combining. To get a clickable dot, you'd want to use combostatus and
combo.cfg, which allows for a more logical combination options, albeit in
a slightly awkward syntax.

It would be useful to combine the two aspects of this somewhat into a
unified syntax. It could still be handled on by the generators and
parsers, with xymongen and svcstatus.cgi doing the calculation work "live"
at display time (like COMPACT), or instead by a "combo.cfg"-aware status
(or stachg) channel listener which re-injects the results of combo
calculations as warranted, or by xymond itself. Each has pluses and
minuses.

Thanks for these. I'd actually been meaning to apply the patch from last
week relating to COMPACT, but was initially stymied by some of the same
issues and hadn't had a chance to dig deeper.

I'll apply these in soon.

Regards,

-jc