[Xymon] xymon, xymon-rclient and md5sum checks

oliver ohemming at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 21:47:20 CEST 2015

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 9:57 PM, Jeremy Laidman <jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au> wrote:
>> 1) Should this be working or is it a limitation of xymon-rclient?
>

> It's the latter, I'm afraid.  :-(
>
> xymon-rclient is intended to (among other things) emulate logfetch, which is
> where the md5 hashing is implemented.  I don't believe any part of Xymon
> (client or server) uses the MD5 environment variable, so setting will have
> no effect.

Thanks for confirming.  I missed your comments in the script about
'hash field' because I was looking for md5 - d'oh.

I've switched to checking file size instead and have this in my analysis.cfg:
FILE /etc/sudoers red SIZE=1192

It works for a linux client but not for a solaris one.  Is this a
problem with Xymon's .../client/bin/xymonclient-sunos.sh file or
something I need to modify in the xymon-rclient.sh script?

If I click on the 'red' filename from a Solaris box, I see this:
[file:/etc/sudoers]

If I click on the 'green' filename from a Linux box, I see this:
[file:/etc/sudoers]
type:100000 (file)
mode:440 (-r--r-----)
linkcount:1
owner:0 (root)
group:0 (root)
size:1192
clock:1433446819
atime:1433446799
ctime:1433420119
mtime:1433420119

and I assumed this was output from 'stat' that the Solaris one is
obviously missing

I tried symlinking /usr/bin/stat to /usr/local/bin/stat on the Solaris
box but it stays red.

Any idea where to go from here?