[Xymon] xymon, xymon-rclient and md5sum checks

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu Jun 4 03:57:20 CEST 2015

On 4 June 2015 at 00:56, oliver <ohemming at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Should this be working or is it a limitation of xymon-rclient?

It's the latter, I'm afraid.  :-(

xymon-rclient is intended to (among other things) emulate logfetch, which
is where the md5 hashing is implemented.  I don't believe any part of Xymon
(client or server) uses the MD5 environment variable, so setting will have
no effect.

> 2) What, if anything, is wrong with my config?

Nothing that I can see.  It's just not (yet) supported.  I couldn't
remember for sure, but comments in the source code are my off-line memory:

    # Note: Due to the complexity in keeping state,
    # only "file:" and "dir:" are implemented at this
    # stage.  Neither can backticks be used yet (the
    # result is unknown).  The "file:" setting cannot
    # use the optional hash field yet.  Linecount does
    # not require state, but simply hasn't yet been
    # implemented.

Also, the "file:" line parser code (line 482) simply discards anything
after a second colon.

Patches are welcome. ;-)

Cheers
Jeremy