[Xymon] Potential bug in FILE analysis

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Tue May 27 02:01:45 CEST 2014

On 23 May 2014 11:21, Vernon Everett <everett.vernon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anybody know of a way to give Xymon elevated access permissions when it
> stats files it's checking?
> I would prefer not to change the directory permissions if I can avoid it.

Apart from running Xymon as root, I don't think you can do this.

An alternative* might be to have a script that creates hard links for all
files in /var/crash/ into another directory that the xymon user can read.
 For example:

#!/bin/sh
NEWDIR=/var/crash-monitor  # must be same filesystem as /var/crash
rm -rf "$NEWDIR" || exit 1
mkdir -f "$NEWDIR" || exit 1
chown root:xymon "$NEWDIR"
chmod 550 "$NEWDIR"
cd /var/crash || exit 1
for file in *; do ln "$f" "$NEWDIR/$f"; done
ls "$NEWDIR"/*

This creates a replica of /var/crash/ that Xymon can read (and stat the
files), without changing the original dir perms and ownership.

This is run from within the "file:" backticks (using sudo), and so it
produces the hardlink names as its output.

You could have run this script from root's cron, but you'd have a race
condition where sometimes Xymon will look at the replica directory after it
has been created but before the hard links have been created.

*untested