[Xymon] memory status not updated on some Solaris clients after upgrade

Andy Smith abs at shadymint.com
Fri Jan 17 21:20:55 CET 2014

Hi,

On 15 January 2014 10:16, Andy Smith <abs at shadymint.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since upgrading to 4.3.13, the 'memory' tests on some Solaris clients have
> turned purple.  All the other tests for these hosts are updated correctly,
> but svcstatus for memory reflects that no update has been applied and the
> rrd files memory.real and memory.swap are not being updated.  None of the
> clients were upgraded, only the server.
>
> The clientlog for the sections memory or swap for a solaris host that
> works and a solaris host that doesnt work are indistinguishable in format.
>
> Whilst checking the timestamp on the memory.real.rrd file, I noticed that
> some of the rrd files in both directories are up to 60 minutes old, but if
> an attempt to access the data is made by for instance opening the status
> page, all the rrd files seem to get updated, so I am not sure this is
> relevant, but if anyone can explain it, I would be grateful.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions how I can debug the errant solaris memory
> tests?  There is nothing relevant I can find in any of the logs which is
> tagged with the host name or even the word 'memory'.  I have upgraded one
> solaris client (4.3.10->4.3.13) just to rule it out, but as expected, it
> made no difference.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Andy

If a Solaris host is stood up with no swap configured, any memory checks
submitted to 4.3.13 (and possibly previous versions) are silently
discarded.  This affects most (but not all) of our non-global zones.  This
patch for xymond/client/solaris.c fixes the problem.

On the subject of non-global zones, it is necessary to run slightly
different commands in a non-global zone to extract the correct
information.  This is especially true in respect of memory and swap and
will be particularly visible to anyone running memory capped zones.  I
offer this patch to xymonclient-sunos.sh if anyone is interested.
Thanks
--
Andy