[Xymon] State of the art SMS alerting?

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 05:58:18 CET 2014

You can get cell modems in a USB thumb drive format.  They also used to be
available as PCMCIA cards, and one of those could be plugged into a regular
PC using a carrier that plugs into a PCI slot.  I believe either type
appears in the system to be a Hayes-type modem, which gives you the ability
to dial out.  I wouldn't be surprised to find the command set extended to
SMS messaging.

Here's a selection of cellular modems in mini-PCI express format:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4566-3004_7-0.html?filter=500284_14401104

I know this type would fit in my laptop.  I don't know if desktop
motherboards have suitable slots these days.  In either case, I imagine an
external antenna would be desirable.

I don't have one, so that's as much as I know.

Ralph Mitchell