[Xymon] http checks for multiple domains in the same server

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon Jul 1 04:41:50 CEST 2013

On 28 June 2013 07:10, David Hay-Currie <dhaycurrie at leisurefitness.com>wrote:

> This is to launch the dnsreg, but I guess it is not launching it
>
> Just in case I also added it to tasks.cfg

Xymon will ignore extra task configs with the same name.  I don't know
which would be honoured, but having two might lead to confusion.  If you're
not sure that it's taking the tasks.d version, just add to tasks.cfg until
you know it's working.

If it doesn't appear to be running:
1) Look at the log file listed in the tasks.cfg config for [dnsreg],
perhaps even change the logfilename to /var/log/xymon/dnsreg.log and see if
the logfile gets created, and if anything interesting appears.
2) Change the command to something simple like "/usr/bin/date" and see if
the output appears in your log, then work backwards.
3) Try running the command manually, from within "xymoncmd", after sourcing
the environment.  Something like this:

$ /usr/lib/xymon/server/bin/xymoncmd
$ . /etc/xymon/xymonserver.cfg
[might show an error if you have an include line, just ignore]
$ /usr/lib/xymon/server/ext/dnsreg

See if this gives any output that shows problems.

****

> ** For the http checks. I created a httoweb.cfg in tasks.d with the code

I'm assuming that you didn't put the code directly in the httoweb.cfg file.
 Doing that would not work.

What I am wondering is:

> **1.       **Do I need to rename the domain check from the host file
> (only the http like http://somedomain.com)

They are independent, and will only cause a problem if the status message
name clashes.  In the case of the hosts.cfg entries (run by xymonnet) the
status message (and thus the name of the dot on your Xymon display) is
called "http".  With my example script, I used "webchecks".  Feel free to
rename this in the script, but be sure to avoid a clash with any existing
check names.  You could use "http" for this if you wanted to, and remove
all "http://" or "https://" checks from hosts.cfg so that xymonnet doesn't
report http status messages.

> ****
>
> **2.       **And, If I remove the http check, where will it report the
> status?

In the "webchecks" test.