[Xymon] Changing the test output description for purple test status?

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Thu Jan 24 01:16:08 CET 2013

Alex,
> I'm a bit of a Xymon newbie, but haven't seen any info on this...
>

> As you know, when a test goes into not responding status, the
> description associated with it stays as whatever it was when the test
> last successfully transmitted data. We have our Xymon set up to send
> alert emails when a test status is purple (our tests are run by a
> script that has been known to get stuck once or twice in the past, we
> want to know when this happens so we can bounce it) and some of the
> recipients are understandably confused when they get alert emails
> where the test status is correct in the subject line, but the status
> as described in the email body shows something like "check succeeded
> OK" rather than something like "Error: Did not receive any data from
> this test".
>
> Does anyone know if it's possible to automatically change the
> description text of a test when the status changes to purple, and if
> so, how?

This sounds like it would be better done with a custom alert script. You
could check whether the colour is purple and add/change the notification
message as appropriate.

David.

--
David Baldwin - Senior Systems Administrator (Datacentres + Networks)
Information and Communication Technology Services

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.