[Xymon] Changing the test output description for purple test status?

Alex Hoffer alexandra.hoffer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 00:52:01 CET 2013

I'm a bit of a Xymon newbie, but haven't seen any info on this...

As you know, when a test goes into not responding status, the description
associated with it stays as whatever it was when the test last successfully
transmitted data. We have our Xymon set up to send alert emails when a test
status is purple (our tests are run by a script that has been known to get
stuck once or twice in the past, we want to know when this happens so we
can bounce it) and some of the recipients are understandably confused when
they get alert emails where the test status is correct in the subject line,
but the status as described in the email body shows something like "check
succeeded OK" rather than something like "Error: Did not receive any data
from this test".

Does anyone know if it's possible to automatically change the description
text of a test when the status changes to purple, and if so, how?

Thanks!