[Xymon] Alternative to conn test - check for any incoming data from client?

Joost Hillen jhillen at draads.nl
Wed Feb 6 07:34:44 CET 2013

Hi there,

Quite a few of the clients I've setup to be monitored, are behind a firewall
which does not allow a response to ping. As such, I can not use the conn test, a
function which I do believe is rather important.

As an alternative, I would like to have a (possibly periodic) check, to see
whether any data is incoming from these clients, as an alternative to the
connection test.. afterall, incoming data = working connection, at least between
the client at the Xymon server.

Might any one have any recommendations or perhaps a sample on how to accomplish
such a feat?

Kind regards,

Joost Hillen.
System Administrator