[Xymon] How to launch Xymon client on Ubuntu 12.04

Larry A. Rosen larry at digonex.com
Thu Sep 6 00:30:43 CEST 2012

The xymon package for Debian must be seriously hosed, there is no runclient.sh script and no README.Client files.  I will try the one from the 12.04 repository.

Below is listed all that was installed with xymon-client package on 12.04:

I installed  xymon-client_4.3.10_i386.deb from sourceforge:

dpkg -i  xymon-client_4.3.10_i386.deb
root at indy-dt-l-01:/var/run/xymon# dpkg -l xymon-client
||/ Name             Version          Description
+++-================-================-================================================
ii  xymon-client     4.3.10           client for the Xymon network monitor

root at indy-dt-l-01:/var/run/xymon# dpkg -L xymon-client
/.
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/share
/usr/share/xymon
/usr/share/xymon/init-common.sh
/usr/share/xymon/xymon-client.default
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/xymon-client
/usr/share/doc/xymon-client/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/xymon-client/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/xymon-client/copyright
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man7
/usr/share/man/man7/xymon.7.gz
/usr/share/man/man8
/usr/share/man/man8/msgcache.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/xymonlaunch.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man1
/usr/share/man/man1/logfetch.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/xymoncfg.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/xymon.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/clientupdate.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/orcaxymon.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/xymoncmd.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/xymondigest.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/xymongrep.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man5
/usr/share/man/man5/xymonclient.cfg.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/clientlaunch.cfg.5.gz
/usr/share/lintian
/usr/share/lintian/overrides
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/xymon-client
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/xymon
/usr/lib/xymon/client
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymonclient.sh
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymonclient-sco_sv.sh
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymoncfg
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymonclient-irix.sh
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/clientupdate
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymongrep
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/orcaxymon
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymonclient-osf1.sh
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymonclient-hp-ux.sh
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymon
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymonlaunch
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymonclient-linux.sh
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/logfetch
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymonclient-netbsd.sh
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymonclient-openbsd.sh
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/msgcache
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymonclient-darwin.sh
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymonclient-unixware.sh
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymonclient-freebsd.sh
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymondigest
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymoncmd
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymonclient-sunos.sh
/usr/lib/xymon/client/bin/xymonclient-aix.sh
/usr/lib/xymon/client/local
/usr/lib/xymon/client/local/README
/usr/lib/xymon/client/ext
/etc
/etc/default
/etc/xymon
/etc/xymon/localclient.cfg
/etc/xymon/clientlaunch.cfg
/etc/xymon/clientlaunch.d
/etc/xymon/xymonclient.cfg
/etc/xymon/xymonclient.d
/var
/var/log
/var/log/xymon
/var/lib
/var/lib/xymon
/var/lib/xymon/tmp
/usr/bin/xymon
/usr/bin/xymoncmd
/usr/lib/xymon/client/tmp
/usr/lib/xymon/client/logs
/usr/lib/xymon/client/etc

README.CLIENT:

Running it
To start the client, su to the "xymon" user, then run
    $HOME/client/runclient.sh start

You should arrange for your boot-time scripts to run this
command at startup.

wbeauchaine wbeauchaine at katei.net
Wed Sep 5 22:19:59 CEST 2012

README.CLIENT: