[Xymon] migrate server

Betsy Schwartz betsy.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 12:57:58 CET 2012

Something must be in the air - we moved servers too, physical to virtual

I just rsync'ed everything over from the old server to the new,
stopped, did a final rsync and then moved the name and IP to a
secondary interface on the new box.

Then I cloned it and set up an rsync to the clone - if the primary
dies we can just move the IP to the new box and we should be good to
go.

The "reconfigure client" thing bit me a couple times  - xymon
hardcodes the host IP into the binaries. I cloned a dev server and it
fired up and started happily sending data to the primary before I
rebuilt xymon.

Oh and since our xymon server is on the vmware cluster -  I also have
another xymon server sitting on a physical box, doing nothing but
watching bbd on the primary. It's job is to alert us if the primary
xymon server goes down.

I did manage to take down the primary a few weeks ago, by loading it
up with some server-side scripts that were failing to return. I'm
trying to get away from running server-side scripts on the primary
now.