[Xymon] migrate server

Dr. Peter Kache | getit GmbH peter.kache at getit.de
Wed Nov 14 08:52:39 CET 2012

Am 14.11.2012 07:59, schrieb Henrik Størner:
> On 14-11-2012 04:04, Novosielski, Ryan wrote:
>> I did this recently but also changed the hostname and upgraded
>> from 4.2.3 to 4.3.10 at the same time and had trouble with the
>> graphs. Any obvious gotchas to look out for there?
>
> RRD-files are architecture-specific in format, so if you go from
> e.g. a 32-bit system to 64-bit you will need to convert all of your
> rrd-files.
>
> If your Xymon server changes IP, then you'll need to reconfigure
> all of the clients reporting to the server. Plus any firewall
> changes that might incur.
>
> Other that that, doing a new install on the new server and then
> copying all of the data- and configuration-files across should work
> fine.
>

> Regards, Henrik

we just migrated from Hobbit 4.2.0 running on Debian Lenny to Xymon
4.3.10 on a new machine with Debian Squeeze and had to dump and
restore a lot of rrd databases since there is also a Cacti
installation on the same server.

There was one gotcha that took us some time: the language variables on
the two machines were set to different values and our restored rrds
got mangled with wrong min/max values. To avoid this you can simply
set the LANG Variable when dumping and restoring. We used the
following commands:

on the old machine:
cd /var/lib/hobbit/rrd && for i in `find ./ -type f -name "*.rrd"`;do
LANG=C rrdtool dump "$i" "$i.xml";done

transfer the xml files to the new machine

on the new machine:
cd /var/lib/xymon/rrd && for i in `find ./ -type f -name "*.rrd.xml"`;
do LANG=C rrdtool restore "$i" ${i%.xml};done

Regards,
Peter

- --
- ------
Besuchen Sie uns auf unseren nächsten Veranstaltungen:
- - European SharePoint Conference, 04. - 07.02.2013 Kopenhagen, Stand 6
- ------

Dr. Peter Kache
Systemintegration

getit GmbH