[Xymon] Is it 'procs' or 'processes'?

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Wed Mar 21 19:10:47 CET 2012

Hello,

Using Xymon 4.3.7, I am a little confused with the 'procs' test.

As far as I can tell, after installation the 'procs' test will run and a
column is produced. Also an RRD (procs.rrd) is created for each client
and the server itself. However, the RRD graph is not shown (see my
previous email about the 'zoom icon' alone showing), and this seems to
be because the 'xymonserver.cfg' file in the TEST2RRD definition has
'procs=processes'.

The comments in the file indicate that this means the column 'procs'
will be created, but data for a graph comes from the 'processes.rrd'
file. But that file doesn't exist, so no graph.

If I change the 'xymonserver.cfg' file to just say 'procs' in the
TEST2RRD section, then I get the graph name showing but still no graph.

It seems that the 'graphs.cfg' file has a section for 'processes', but
no section for 'procs', so Xymon does not know how to display the
'procs' graph. If I create a 'procs' section, then I get a graph.

I'm not quite sure where the 'processes' bit comes from, but it seems
that perhaps the 'xymonserver.cfg' and 'graphs.cfg' files should only
refer to 'procs'. The 'procs' test runs, but produces no graph because,
by default, Xymon seems to be expecting 'processes'.

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK      Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001