[Xymon] xymon rrd value different from reported value

Jeff Bender jbender at mportal.com
Mon Jan 16 21:40:09 CET 2012

Henrik Størner <henrik at ...> writes:

> On 12-01-2012 17:36, Jeff Bender wrote:
> > I’m having a weird problem for which I can’t seem to hunt down a
> > cause/solution. I have a custom script that’s using SPLITNCV to store
> > data, but the data stored in the rrd files are different from those
> > reported by the script. Below you’ll notice that at 10:48:34
> > customer_info is reported at 1, but in the rrd file it’s showing
> > 10:50:00 and 8.8008800880e-04. Any ideas?
>
> That's how RRD works. Unless you fill in the data at *exactly* 300
> second intervals, RRDtool will interpolate the data and calculate what
> it "should" have been, if you had been doing the update at the right time.
>
> See the RRDtool documents for more details, e.g. the "Data resampling"
> section of the RRD tutorial at
> http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/tut/rrdtutorial.en.html
>
> Regards,
> Henrik

Henrik,

This make a little more sense now. I've only started using xymon in the past
month or two. Do you have any suggestions on how to disable this feature or some
kind of way to make it so that the data reported is the data stored? Since I'm
new to this, I don't think I even know how to properly ask what to do :)

You may wonder why? It's because this check is looking for 'ERROR' in a log and
reporting the count for the past 5 minutes. Since there are only 1 or 2 every
couple of checks, it's making my graph fluctuate between positive and negative
at the 0.* level.

Graph example: http://www.benderbytes.com/xymon_graph.jpg

Thanks,

Jeff