[Xymon] xymon rrd value different from reported value

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Jan 12 18:37:52 CET 2012

On 12-01-2012 17:36, Jeff Bender wrote:
> I’m having a weird problem for which I can’t seem to hunt down a
> cause/solution. I have a custom script that’s using SPLITNCV to store
> data, but the data stored in the rrd files are different from those
> reported by the script. Below you’ll notice that at 10:48:34
> customer_info is reported at 1, but in the rrd file it’s showing
> 10:50:00 and 8.8008800880e-04. Any ideas?

That's how RRD works. Unless you fill in the data at *exactly* 300
second intervals, RRDtool will interpolate the data and calculate what
it "should" have been, if you had been doing the update at the right time.

See the RRDtool documents for more details, e.g. the "Data resampling"
section of the RRD tutorial at
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/tut/rrdtutorial.en.html