[Xymon] Yellow->red escalation, bug or feature?

Elizabeth Schwartz betsy.schwartz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 16:07:04 CET 2012

>>Let's say I implement the 3-hour delay before sending an escalation notice. What should happen
>> if the status is yellow for two hours, >then goes red for 2h50m, dips back into yellow for 10 minutes
>>  and then goes back to red ? Should the 2h50m count after the status >was yellow for a while? Or
>> does a 10 minute yellow status completely reset the duration counter for the almost-3-hours red status?

Thinking about this again (since xymon woke everyone up again this
morning) I'm liking the idea of a RECOVERY= flag.

Seems like there are two kinds of alerts, those where yellow->
red->yellow means things are not so bad (like disk space, which is the
one I keep hitting) and those where yellow->red->yellow means you are
looking at a larger performance problem (like, say, CPU load or other
performance metrics). Being able to treat those two situations
separately would be the biggest win.

thanks Betsy