[Xymon] TS - Maintenance Mode for a group of hosts?

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon Dec 10 01:21:08 CET 2012

If you only want the "disable" or "enable" to apply to a group of hosts,
you can search for hosts matching any tag you wish using xymongrep.  So for
instance, if you have the following:

192.168.1.1 www.test.com # http telnet CORP
192.168.1.2 mail.test.com # smtp telnet FINANCE
192.168.1.3 ftp.test.com # ftp ssh CORP

Then you can disable the first and third (in "CORP" group) for 90 minutes
with:

xymongrep CORP | while read IP NAME REST; do xymon $XYMSRV "disable $NAME.*
90m disabled group 1 servers"; done

If you want to disable at a future time, use the "schedule" command to
submit the "disable" command at the right time.  Or put the above into a
script and schedule it using "at".

You can be very flexible with the entries in the host.cfg file, and they
are normally ignored by Xymon unless then happen to match a test tag being
used elsewhere.  So instead of "CORP" and "FINANCE" you could have
"GROUP=corp" and "GROUP=finance", and then match that string format
appropriately, such as: xymongrep GROUP=corp.  You're less likely to match
another tag this way.

Then you can match all hosts that are in any group with: xymongrep
'GROUP=*'.  You can even have hosts in multiple groups like:
GROUP=CORP,Linux,prod; then match all corporate hosts with something like:
xymongrep 'GROUP=' | egrep '=CORP|,CORP'

If you already have "NET:location" definitions in hosts.cfg, then you can
match these with: xymongrep 'NET:*'  Or you can match any untagged entries
with

See the man page on xymongrep for more info.