[Xymon] Alert script "BBCOLORLEVEL" is red when recovered

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu Sep 1 05:26:00 CEST 2011

Hi

I'm running Xymon v4.3.3.  I'm using an alert script to create log entries
for a corporate alarming system to monitor.

When a test fails in a red status, my script gets:

  RECOVERED=0, BBCOLORLEVEL=red and BBALPHAMSG="red bla bla bla"

When the test goes green again, it gets:

  RECOVERED=1, BBCOLORLEVEL=red and BBALPHAMSG="green bla bla bla"

The BBCOLORLEVEL is "red" in both messages even though for the second the
state had returned to green.  The "alerts" doco/manpage says that
BBCOLORLEVEL is "the current color of the status".  But it seems to show the
color of the status when it first entered the failure status.  Is this a
bug, or is the doco wrong, or am I mis-reading the doco?

A related question: Some tests include a URL in the BBALPHAMSG text (saying
"See http://.../") but other tests don't.  I can't work out which tests do
and which don't.  Is there a pattern to this that I'm not seeing?  Can the
URL be enabled for all alert messages?  In all cases, the SCRIPT definition
sets "FORMAT=TEXT", which should be including the URL.  Here's an example:

HOST=%^lxdns01[01]\d\. SERVICE=ntp DURATION>30 RECOVERED
        SCRIPT /usr/local/utils/xymon-scripts/xymon-logger "" FORMAT=TEXT
REPEAT=1d

Cheers
Jeremy