[Xymon] problem with xymond_client test

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Mar 16 22:18:59 CET 2011

> Core was generated by `xymond_client'.
> Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
[snip]
> #4 <signal handler called>
> #5 0x0806f888 in get_ostype (osname=0x807710c "") at misc.c:44
> #6 0x0805d82c in main (argc=1, argv=0xbfae9ba4) at xymond_client.c:2166

Ok, the problem here is a host sending some "client" data without a
valid hostname or operating-system identifier. A client message should
begin like

    client jorn,hswn,dk.linux linux

where the first "linux" is the name of the OS of the host. This client
message that causes the crash doesn't have that. In fact, I don't think
it has even the hostname.

xymond_client shouldn't crash, of course.

It would be nice to know what kind of client is triggering this. If you

    fr 6
    p hostname
    p sender

That should give you the hostname this client reports (or NULL, if it
didn't report one - I suspect that is the case here), and the IP-address
it was sent from.