[Xymon] Green status during a total blackout

Craig Whilding craig_whilding at mentor.com
Wed Jul 27 12:55:21 CEST 2011

On 27/07/11 11:45, L.M.J wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:00:44 +0800, Vernon Everett wrote:
>> When you had the outage, did your Xymon server go down too?
>> If it did, then what you are seeing makes sense.
>>
>> Xymon looks for status changes.
>> If everything went down, including Xymon, then it would never have
>> received any messages, nor been able to perform any other tests, like
>> ping etc.
>>
>> I am guessing that when power was restored, you brought up all your
>> other servers first, and then started Xymon. Or they all started up
>> around the same time.
>>
>> The root cause of your issue, or rather the lack of issue, is that
>> Xymon never recieved any reports of problems. Because it couldn't.
>

> Yes, it's exactly what happened and no one is shocked about this
> behaviour ?
>
> I would expect, at least, a white stripe in the "History" page of each
> status check. Nothing has been reported during 6h, this is never
> happens in a every day functioning. Type or paste your English text
> here and click on the "Check Text" button.

In our case the UPS would alert Xymon its on battery and has lost input
power. Then it would start shutting down boxes after a few minutes
causing box status reports to change colour and then it would shut down
cleanly.

Everything would already be red before its turned back on again.

As part of a clean shutdown though maybe Xymon shouldn't leave stuff
green for the duration its turned off. I've never really checked what it
does at that point..

Craig