[Xymon] conn stopped reporting (PURPLE)

Darko Jr. Gonzalez jkokino at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 08:48:33 CEST 2011

Hello

And thank you all very much in advance for taking the time to read it :)
I have XYMON 4.2.3 on Fedora 10 - its a vmware virtual machine.
XYMON is in /usr/lib/xymonuser/server

I get these kind of emails "Hobbit [232357] HOSTNAME:conn stopped reporting
(PURPLE)"
For a 2nd day now. I cannot determine a pattern and frequency yet, nor
time-wise nor hostname-wise

What happened? - I ran out of space. And then it turns out I ran out of
inodes. What I did:
1.
cd /var/log/
tar -zcvf xymon_logs_2011-april.tar.gz xymon
cd xymon
I deleted *.log files

2.
I deleted the largest messages log file from Fedora, it was 2.1 GB.

3.
inodes, full, df -i
In my case: The directory /usr/lib/xymonuser/data/histlogs/ keeps huge
amount of historical data about each hobbit client. I made tar.gz of
everything in histlogs. I then did rm -rf for everything inside histlogs.
Now 66% of inodes are free and I have ~6GB free disk space.

All works fine except that I get "conn stopped reporting (PURPLE)".

4.
To resolve "conn stopped reporting (PURPLE)"
a. Stopped xymon
b. Backup of "/usr/lib/xymonuser/server/tmp/"
c. Delete all in "/usr/lib/xymonuser/server/tmp/"
d. Restart fedora 10
f.      Start xymon. Works all ok.
d.     I still get the emails :(

I searched Internet and didnt anything else, apart from this:
http://lists.xymon.com/archive/2008-February/017868.html - there are few
posts like these, I am not sure how this is relevant to my case.

sendmail queue is empty. Maybe all these messages are being generated
because for a while it was not working, between steps 2 and 3 - I didnt
figure out immediately that I am out of inodes. So xymon was mostly purple
for many hosts and services.

Thank you very much again

Henrik - Thanks for this tool

Take care all