[xymon] alternative to bb command

Kolbjørn Barmen kolbjorn.barmen at uninett.no
Mon Sep 6 12:59:32 CEST 2010

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010, Buchan Milne wrote:

> On Friday, 3 September 2010 00:49:30 Jason Kincl wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I am wondering if using netcat instead of bb to send status updates to a
> > xymon server is a bad idea?
>
> What prevents you from using bb?
>
> In the cases where I can't install bb, I can't have netcat either, so I use
> perl.

Sometimes, all you have is busybox and then nc is alot more likely to be
around than perl :)

Also, perl is a hige memory hog and slow (due to disk access) compared to
doing everything inside busybox sh - to I avoid perl on embedded systems
or other systems with limited memory resources.

--
Kolbjørn Barmen
UNINETT Driftsenter