[hobbit] Best installation process on Fedora 12

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Mon May 10 11:01:28 CEST 2010

On Friday, 7 May 2010 18:22:05 peter at petersjazz.com wrote:
> Hello; I am new to Hobbit, its looks like a wonderful tool.  Can someone
>  kindly suggest the best method for installing on a Fedora 12 system?

Firstly, I would wonder about the wisdom of using Fedora 12 for deployment of
a monitoring system. If a production environment, you would probably be better
off using CentOS or RHEL. If this is a "play" system, then you could install
from source ....

>  The
>  site suggests an rpm, but I want to check with you all before I do
>  anything.

A number of distributions ship Xymon packages. For example, I maintain Xymon
and devmon in Mandriva. The Mandriva packages rebuild adequately on
CentOS/RHEL, and should probably work on Fedora as well (if you load the
compatibility macros).

A repo for CentOS5 / RHEL 5 is available here:
http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/rhel5/xymon/

SRPMS are here:
http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/SRPMS/xymon/

(or on any Mandriva mirror, and in Mandriva svn).

Regards,
Buchan