[hobbit] User management for Xymon?!

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 08:12:44 CEST 2010

I created a "Business View" page, which had heaps of combo tests,
showing the status of applications, and the servers and databases they
depended on.
All the servers there were under group-except, where I took out all
stuff not related to the health of what the business cares about.
Check for group-only and group-except in the bb-hosts man page. (They
do pretty much the same thing in different ways)

Business couldn't give a toss if a disk in a RAID set is dead. Apps
still work, it's all green to them. Leave it out.
Memory usage is high? So what? Apps are running.
Disks? Only the ones business can do something about.
Ditto for CPU.

On the sysadmin view - off limits to PHBs - we had all the other stuff.
So if we got a call about a slow app, we could see it may be related
to a disk rebuild in a RAID set, or a high CPU utilisation, and react
accordingly.
But most of what we see on Xymon needs to be treated as "Need to know"
secrets, and business, for the most part do not need to know.

Simply create a "business view" page, and use your web server access
control to limit their access to that view only.

Cheers
   Vernon