[hobbit] Need Help Setting up Two PAGERS/DISPLAYS/Xymon Servers

wiskbroom at hotmail.com wiskbroom at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 5 22:06:39 CET 2010

Hello all, and Happy New Year!

I am still puzzled on how best to deploy two or more Xymon servers, each one separated by a WAN, and residing in separate datacenters.

In reviewing the following documents, specifically:

1.  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/System_Monitoring_with_Xymon/Administration_Guide#HA-WAN_approach

It mentions a requirement:

a script that can detect failing of hobbit.test.com services.

a.  Could someone please elaborate on the required script mentioned above?
b.  What other requirements within the server/etc dir files are required in order to "monitor" each of the other Xymon servers?

and on

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/System_Monitoring_with_Xymon/Administration_Guide#HA-WAN_2_approach

The ascii drawing shows:

          hobbit1.test.com                     hobbit2.test.com
                   | Primary                         | Standby Xymon server
                   |  <-----  bbproxy    ----->      |
      LAN1         |                                 |     LAN2
     --------------------------             -------------------------
     ^          ^     ^                                ^
     |          |     |                                |
     |          |     |                                |
 hobbitc A     hobbitc B                              hobbitc C

LAN1= has hobbitc A,B
LAN2= has hobbitc C
a.   How do I use "bbproxy" to send and/or receive (?) data to/from other Xymon servers?

b.  What other requirements within the server/etc dir files are required in order to "monitor" each of the other Xymon servers?

I have so many questions on setting this up, but would first like to get this working.  I already have a successful standalone, but need to move on.

Thanks all in advance,

.vp