[hobbit] how to define a catch-all in hobbit-alerts.cfg

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Oct 21 22:30:17 CEST 2009

In <4ADE2280.2020302 at ipacc.com> Bill Wagner <william.wagner at ipacc.com> writes:

>I have rules defined for many of my 300+ hosts ( a mix of windows and
>unix servers scattered throughout, and interleaved across,  multiple
>pages.  I want to define a default rule for hosts so that, for example,
>every conn alert goes to my unix administrators.  I have experimented
>with several solutions which do not yield the desired result.  e.g.:

>HOST=* EXHOST=<>  # I can't explicitly list all hosts (too many) and
>tried macros consisting of wildcard host names
>   MAIL ...

>HOST=* EXHOST=<>
>    MAIL ... UNMATCHED

>if I use only HOST=* then I end up with multiple (sometimes redundant)
>recipients for some hosts and no recipients for hosts not previously
>explicitly defined.

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but I *think* you want a
default rule that triggers only if there are no other rules that
apply. Correct ?

In that case, the following should do it:

	HOST=* SERVICE=conn
		MAIL unixadmin at foo.com UNMATCHED

The UNMATCHED keyword means that this alert only triggers if no other
rules applied.