[hobbit] Mysterious Sawtooth Graphs

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Aug 13 17:55:15 CEST 2009

On Wednesday, 12 August 2009 12:21:16 thorsten.erdmann at daimler.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> I use Hobbit to monitor about 700 systems. I get some mysterious looking
> graphs with the CONN test and also the bbgen test itself.
> It looks like two overlayed sawtooth curves. Any idea why the graphs look
> so weird? I cannot believe these are the real response times.

Are you using hobbitping, or fping? If you are using hobbitping, that would
explain your high ping times (20 ms+). You should install fping, and set the
FPING variable in hobbitserver.cfg to a name that will find fping (either full
path, or just name if it is in the path).

> Here are two demo pics:
>
> http://www.trektech.de/test/hobbitgraph_conn.png
> http://www.trektech.de/test/hobbitgraph_bbtest.png
>
> BTW.: is there a way to speed up the connect test. It needs about 35sec
> which is not critical but not very fast.

How many devices are you running network tests, and at what intervals do you
want the network tests to be run? I've usually only run network tests at
intervals of 1min, higher frequency doesn't hold much benefit IMHO.

Regards,
Buchan