Suspected bug in External Script handling

Graham Nayler graham.nayler at hallmarq.net
Fri Sep 26 20:17:58 CEST 2008

Hi guys,

(Bug report and fix submitted here as Sourceforge looks 'not particularly' active)

I've just started setting up a Hobbit system to monitor a load of Windows boxes (using BBWin), and am implementing our custom tests using external script mechanism. Once I finally got my head around the Hobbit/BBWin interface and worked out that it's really simple to implement, just very confusing to find the right document to look at, the test columns and graphs were displayed fine, but with dodgy data in the graphs.

The problem though is that RRD only intermittently gets its updates - maybe once every 15-20 minutes. I eventually realised that it's a problem with the update caching implemented in hobbitd_rrd. This is using the snapshot version as of 2008/Aug/02. The bug does not apply to version 4.2.0 from SourceForge.

The majoirty of the internal tests cache RRD updates using static data held in do_rrd.c (v1.61 2008/04/02). External scripts though are handled by forking to a child of the hobbitd_rrd process in do_external.c (v1.22 2008/03/22) - I assume to avoid a midbehaving user script from snarling up the whole system. Once the data is collected from the script it then passes it on to RRD in the normal way. However, the forked process uses a copy of the static data, so this goes into a different cache to that in the main process. And once done the child process goes away - without forcing the cache to empty. Following this logic, the cache never fills up enough to flush itself, and so the data don't make it to RRD (which rather begs the question of how I got anything in the graph at all - but then that's a side issue).

The obvious solutions appear to be:
1) don't fork to a child - but that would allow misbehaving scripts to hang the system
2) fork, but pass the data back to the parent process once it's done - possible, but not a trivial fix
3) fork as currently, but flush the cache before closing the child process - not particularly elegant, but simple to implement.

I've implemented a fix of type 3. It's important to only flush what is handled by the external script handler, as the parent process will still have it's copy of the cache at the time of the fork, and will flush that itself in the normal course of events. There is a function in do_rrd.c that allows a partial flush of the cache - rrdcacheflushhost(). This flushes everything that matches the supplied "hostname", which can be the full path to the RRD archive, or a leading substring thereof. If it is only external scripts supplying the test data, then no keys matching that test name will ever be held in the parent process cache, so this path can be used as a key to flush the cache prior to exiting the child. The name of the repository (RRD file) is held within the do_rrd module context as the static string "rrdfn", which is accessible to the worker functions. This is used in the following fix to generate the match string - it's a bit ugly but it works.

So, in do_external.c,v 1.22 2008/03/22 07:48:55
in function do_external_rrd()
    declare a char * variable called extkey
    then after line 106 (within the R_DATA case) : create_and_update_rrd(hostname, testname, classname, pagepaths, params, NULL);
insert
    extkey = (char *)malloc(strlen(hostname) + strlen(rrdfn) + 3*sizeof(char));
    if( extkey ) {
        sprintf(extkey, "/%s/%s", hostname, rrdfn);
        dbgprintf("%09d : Forcing flush of '%s'\n", extkey );
        rrdcacheflushhost(extkey);
        xfree(extkey);
    }

This is now working reliably for me.

If the external script is used to feed additional data into one of the internal test repositories this fix will fail - with that internally generated data being written both by the parent and the child. A work-around for that would be to make a similar rrdcacheflushhost() call prior to the fork, so clearing out any such entries from the parent, and then the child can write out only the data it generated itself EXCEPT for the fact that we haven't worked out what rrdfn is by that time. Another alternative would be to put in a switch to temporarily prevent the caching mechanism inside create...rrd. The simplest though is...just don't do it!

As an additional observation, the rrd-status.log shows that at or around the termination of the child process the message pipe receives an EINTR completion, then loops around and restarts the message wait. I've no idea whether this is to be expected - although it looks a bit odd. I've not done much *NIX IPC development though, so I'll leave that one to the experts.

Graham Nayler
www.hallmarq.net