[hobbit] Bandwidth monitoring

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Wed Sep 10 15:24:43 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 08:04 -0500, Hubbard, Greg L wrote:
> How about devmon?

Devmon doesn't support snmp V3, which is a requirement for me.  MRTG
does.

> It requires much less care and feeding than MRTG if you are concerned about the entire device

mrtg supports templates just like devmon does.  Once I have the
templates built, it works fine.  The only big issue is that you have to
read the rrd files twice, and that requires really fast hardware when
you have several thousand points to monitor.  we had to upgrade this
year when we had over 5500 points on snmp v3.  Currently I'm monitoring
6502 snmp v3 targets and 1921 snmp v1/2 targets, and feeding it all into
Hobbit.  With the new hardware, our load average: 0.49, 0.70, 0.79

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy