[hobbit] Hobbit Architecture and monitoring Queries

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Mon Oct 20 08:41:15 CEST 2008

On Saturday 18 October 2008 04:06:10 Rakesh Nair wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was trying to write scripts for tesing specific programs running.

If you just want to determine if specific processes are running, this is a
built-in feature (if you have the hobbit client installed on the hosts you are
interested in). See hobbit-clients.cfg

> But I
> dont understand what is the format that the data must me sent to the Server
> manually.
> I tried off with "$bin/bb --debug HOSTIP MSG"  command it says that the msg
> is send but its not reflected in the hobbit monitoring page of the server.
>
> Some other doubts related to Hobbit are :
> 1. What is the proper execution plan of hobbit monitoring the clients.

Depends on what aspects you are monitoring, and how you have set things up.

> 2. Is it that the client contact the server to give the data / is the
> client collects the data after certain intervals and and when the Hobbit
> server on refreshing contacts the client and retreives the data ??

By default, the clients will send data to the server at the intervals
specified in the 'client' task in the clientlaunch.cfg file.

However, you can enable the msgcache task on the client, and configure the
client to send the data to itself (getting to msgcache), and then hobbitfetch
(which you need to enable on the server) will pick up the data (if you have
the pulldata tag in bb-hosts for that host).

> (in
> short----How does a Hobbit client POST the data to the Hobbit server ???)
>
> 3. What is the proper format in which Hobbit server recieves/updates the
> status or data send by Client?? Nowhere I have seen a way that server uses
> for receiving the info from the client.

'man bb'.

> 4.What are hobbit-agents?

You mean the hobbit client?