[hobbit] New to Hobbit --- file monitoring

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Wed Oct 31 22:10:19 CET 2007

On Wednesday 31 October 2007, Scott Mohnkern wrote:
> This may be where I'm getting confused.  On the machine where hobbit is
> reporting data, (i.e. the machinename I use for the url) does the client
> need to be running?  Where are the config files for the client typically
> stored?  I've been editing files /etc/hobbit But I wonder if those are just
> the server files, and not the client files (assuming the client needs to be
> running as well on the machine that is the server.
I'm afraid you need some more reading ;)
Hobbit is client server.  So there is a server that receives info from the
client.  The server is also doing netwerk tests.
The cient sends information to the server that's interpreted by the server.
The servers creates the koloms, trends, ... and does all the logic.

For file monitoring you need to configure the server so the next time the
client connects to the server to send the information, the client also
receives the files it needs the to monitor.  The next time the client sends
all information to the server including the monitord files.

So on the server you typically needs the client software so you can monitor
the machine that runs the server server software.  Depending on your setup,
the server can include the client or this can be a seperate package.

Stef