[hobbit] Sending RRD data via devmon to existing columns

Matthew Epp matthew.epp at us.army.mil
Tue Jun 19 00:11:56 CEST 2007

Hubbard, Greg L wrote:
> Yes.
>
> The devil is in the details!
>
> You need to send your status message with a format that will either work
> with the ncv support in Hobbit, or that you can handle yourself in a
> "catcher" script that you add to the status and data channels.
>
> This process is pretty well documented.
>
> And I believe that there are folks who have done this very thing for
> devmon, but I have not seen the code -- I would like a copy of it
> myself.

D'oh, the answer was right in front of me. I forgot that the old Big
Brother had a bb-memory.sh script that it used to generate that data, so
all I had to do was replicate it, since Hobbit has that nice backwards
compatibility built into it for the old clients. Just make your devmon
messages file look like:
         Memory          Used            Total   Percentage
{percMemUsed.color}     Physical        {megMemUsed}M
{megMemTotal}M  {percMemUsed}%

And a transforms file like:
MemTotal        : MATH  : {MemUsed} + {MemAvail}
xpercMemUsed    : MATH  : ({MemUsed} / {MemTotal}) x 100
percMemUsed     : REGSUB : {xpercMemUsed} /(.*)\..*/$1/
megMemUsed        : MATH  : {MemUsed} / 1024000
megMemTotal       : MATH  : {MemTotal} / 1024000