[hobbit] start up script for automatic loading

Don Munyak don.munyak at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 03:15:54 CET 2007

On 1/19/07, Rich Smrcina <rsmrcina at wi.rr.com> wrote:
> This is the script that I use on SLES9:
>
> #! /bin/sh
> ### BEGIN INIT INFO
> # Provides:       hobbit
> # Required-Start: network
> # Required-Stop:  network
> # Default-Start:  3 5
> # Default-Stop:   3
> ### END INIT INFO
>
> case "$1" in
>      start)
>          echo "Starting Hobbit"
>          su - hobbit -c "cd /home/hobbit/server; ./hobbit.sh start"
>          ;;
>      stop)
>          echo "Stopping Hobbit"
>          su - hobbit -c "cd /home/hobbit/server; ./hobbit.sh stop"
>          ;;
>      restart)
>          $0 stop
>          $0 start
>          rc_status
>          ;;
>      *)
>          echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
>          exit 1
>          ;;
> esac
>

> Don Munyak wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'd like to automate startup of hobbit at boot time.
> >
> > If I make a link from /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hobbit.sh to the startup script
> > in /usr/local/...hobbit/server/hobbit.sh,  how do I get it to start
> > using the user account 'hobbit' ?
> >
> > Is there another preferred technic ?

Rich,

Thanks for the reply. I think I follow the script.  If I'm correct,
when the script runs, something passes to the script, a stop, start,
or restart command.

But how does this occur? Does simply putting this script in
../etc/rc.d/ make it automatic, or is it a combination of the former +
adding something like "hobbit_enable='YES' " withing the rc.conf file
?

Thanks

Don