[hobbit] Large Log Files

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 07:30:28 CET 2006

On 11/29/06, James Wade <jkwade at futurefrontiers.com> wrote:

> Basically, the developers want to monitor a web server log file which is
>
> in debug mode. The file fills up to 10mb, then rotates to a date/time stamp.
>
> They want to monitor for specific strings. Example: J2CA0056I
>

> The problem is that if Hobbit is checking every 5 minutes, or even every 1
> or
>
> 2 minutes, the error can feed by to fast for Hobbit to detect.

I haven't tried this myself, but it looks like swatch
(http://swatch.sourceforge.net) might be worth looking at.  It watches
log files for you, and can execute actions based on search strings.
The action could be as simple as "echo J2CA0056I >> log-for-hobbit"
and have hobit watch that file, or possibly even exec a script that
fires off a hobbit report directly.

I don't know how swatch would handle the log rotation though.

Ralph Mitchell